Short Story Collections
Short Story eBooks
Eugie Foster, author, editor, wife, died on September 27th of respiratory failure at Emory University in Atlanta.
In her forty-two years, Eugie lived three lifetimes. She won the Nebula award, the highest award for science fiction literature, and had over one hundred of her stories published. She was an editor for the Georgia General Assembly. She was the director of the Daily Dragon at Dragon Con, and was a regular speaker at genre conventions. She was a model, dancer, and psychologist. She also made my life worth living.
Memorial service will be announced soon.
We do not need flowers. In lieu of flowers, please buy her books and read them. Buy them for others to read until everyone on the planet knows how amazing she was.
–Matthew M. Foster (husband)
- Exhausted from fever, cough, shortness of breath. Waiting with @MatthewMFoster at Winship for results of chest CT scan. #CopingWithCancer 12:59:43, 2014-09-03
- Well, dammit. CT scan was not clean, areas in my lungs that were a little inflamed much worse now. Being re-admitted into the hospital. 13:36:47, 2014-09-03
- [Blog] Stem Cell Transplant Day 32: in ICU. Breathing Hard. http://t.co/DwMMNamRBJ 13:51:30, 2014-09-05
In ICU with pneumonia. On oxygen and LOTS of meds. Docs don’t know what kind of pneumonia, can’t tell if I’m getting worse or better due to how one possible disease manifests. They want to do a bronchoscopy but can’t without intubating me. They’ve been fasting me for almost two days now in case of intubation. Trying really hard NOT to have to be intubated. In wait and see mode.
- At 1st follow-up post-hospital release. My white counts are good (yay!) but still feel like crap because of sleep deprivation. #AmbienNowPlz 11:42:21, 2014-08-25
- Five hours. FIVE hours is all the sleep Ambien was able to bring me. Very disappointed. Was hoping for at least six. #StillSleepDeprived 04:22:45, 2014-08-26
- Spiked a fever this morning, which made me sad. But it's better now. However, now they want a chest x-ray & chest CT scan. #CopingWithCancer 17:16:37, 2014-08-18
- My white cells are growing; my white cells are growing! My count is still low but no longer critically so. Grow little white cells! 14:36:47, 2014-08-19
- Doctors came and they want to keep me in the hospital for another day because of my stupid fevers. Wah! I wanna go home!! #CopingWithCancer 14:21:53, 2014-08-21
- RT @blackathenapm: Found out 1st @escapepodcast story I downloaded years ago is by @eugiefoster; thought I read her 4 1st time this year! 20:46:26, 2014-08-22
- RT @blackathenapm: @eugiefoster @escapepodcast story I heard 1st: http://t.co/t7fzWmDLuY Story I read this year: https://t.co/DZ4bagIQm4 21:30:02, 2014-08-22
- One of my meds is causing horrible insomnia and jitters. Must. Sleep. Solution: take sleep-inducing meds. *headdesk* #CopingWithCancer 17:38:57, 2014-08-24
- [Blog] Stem Cell Transplant Day 14 (Day +7) http://t.co/VajwuXouMx 07:55:53, 2014-08-11
- Feeling better now that my fever broke and I'm able to hold down some food. Also, my lovely nurses keep giving me drugs. Niiice nurses. 18:44:56, 2014-08-11
- [Blog] Stem Cell Transplant Day 15 (Day +8) http://t.co/CcRIdNJizK 16:03:11, 2014-08-12
- [Blog] Stem Cell Transplant Day 18 (Day +11) http://t.co/ZPIYKlpiOX 10:18:50, 2014-08-15
- This is the white board in my hospital room. http://t.co/ekDCLwqFC6 05:50:56, 2014-08-16
- The wonderful nurses gave me IV ativan, and I have a bowl of red jello. My morning is set. #CopingWithCancer 07:14:23, 2014-08-17
We’re engrafting, yay! My white cell counts, while still critically low, are beginning to rise. I’m also getting fevers, but not the stupid human suit kind, but rather the sort typically associated with stem cell engrafting.
My blood pressure tanked last night to the point of me standing in my room confused, trying to figure out how to work the soap dispenser. After that, they turned on the bed alarm, so I can’t get up without someone there to assist me. I feel rather silly about it.
In other news, my GI tract is still in the process of rebooting, which is extremely uncomfortable. Food is primarily liquid still.
Slept almost the whole day yesterday. This stem cell growing is exhausting.
I am feeling very sorry for myself.
On opportunistic bacteria infection has taken up residence in my lower bowels and another one has set up shop in my stomach. Not only is food unpleasant to eat but it’s not doing anything enjoyable once it hits my GI Tract, including staying put.
They have me on lotso antibiotics and other meds to make this easier on me. I appreciate that but honestly, I just want to be unconscious.
None of this is unexpected but it all sucks. Hurry up stem cells. Graft! Graft already!!
Deep into hell week now. Haven’t been able to hold down any food or liquid for 24-hours. Getting IV fluids so I don’t dehydrate. It’s going to be a couple more days until things could conceivably start getting better. Oh, and my hair’s falling out again. (Sigh.)
Needed another platelet transfusion last I night. Nurses are doing their best to keep me comfortable, but morphine now makes me nauseous, and some of this unpleasantness simply has to run its course.
Graft you little stem cells. Graft and grow strong!
Meanwhile, I will seek out unconsciousness.