I grew up in the Midwest, although I call home a mildly haunted, fey-infested house in metro Atlanta that I share with my husband, Matthew. After receiving my Master of Arts degree in Developmental Psychology, I retired from academia to pen flights of fancy. I also edit legislation for the Georgia General Assembly, which from time to time I suspect is another venture into flights of fancy.
I received the 2009 Nebula Award for Best Novelette, the 2011 and 2012 Drabblecast People’s Choice Award for Best Story, and was named the 2009 Author of the Year by Bards and Sages. The Dragon and the Stars anthology, edited by Derwin Mak and Eric Choi, with my story, “Mortal Clay, Stone Heart,” won the 2011 Aurora Award for Best English Related Work. My fiction has also received the 2002 Phobos Award; been translated into eight languages; and been a finalist for the Hugo, Washington Science Fiction Association, and British Science Fiction Association awards.
My short story collection, Returning My Sister’s Face and Other Far Eastern Tales of Whimsy and Malice, was published in 2009 and has been used as a textbook at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and the University of California-Davis. Check out my fiction index for a list of all my published and forthcoming works.
I am represented by literary agent William Reiss of John Hawkins & Associates, Inc., and I’m a voting member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA), the non-profit writers organization founded by Damon Knight in 1965 and presenter of the Nebula awards.
- 2/25/2014 - "Beautiful Winter" (reprint) in the March/April 2014 issue of Cicada.
- 11/29/2013 - Short story collection The King of Rabbits and Moon Lake and Other Tales of Magic and Mischief in ebook and trade paperback.
- 11/6/2013 - Short story collections A Vampire Quintet and Mortal Clay, Stone Heart in trade paperback.
- 10/30/2013 - "Trixie and the Pandas of Dread" (reprint) in anthology The Book of Apex: Volume Four of Apex Magazine.
- 10/24/2013 - A Vampire Quintet ebook for Kindle and other ebook readers.
- 8/30/2013 - “Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast” (audio reprint) in Tales to Terrify.
- 1/10/2014 - Anthology Solaris Rising 2 with my short story "Whatever Skin You Wear" was nominated for the for the Philip K. Dick Award, presented annually for best paperback original book by the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society and the Philip K. Dick Trust.
- 8/18/2013 - "Whatever Skin You Wear" was also reviewed by Theresa Derwin at Sci-Fi Bulletin and Alexandra Pierce at Strange Horizons.
- 8/17/2013 - "Whatever Skin You Wear" was reviewed by Mark Watson at Best SF.
- 8/16/2013 - "The Storyteller's Wife" was reviewed by John Dodds at Adventures in Sci Fi Publishing.
- 7/21/2013 - My reading of Lucy Snyder's Bram Stoker Award-winning short story "Magdala Amygdala" is now up at Pseudopod.
- 3/28/2013 – “Little Grace of the House of Death” received the Drabblecast People’s Choice Award for Best Story of 2012!